I was lucky to grow up trolling secondhand stores with my bargain loving mum but many of you are secondhand shopping rookies with nobody to show you the ropes – that’s why I’m here to give you my tips to becoming a savvy secondhand shopper.
1. Know where to go - The majority of people I talk to about secondhand shopping have no clue where any good secondhand shops are located. There’s no point in going secondhand shopping if you have no place to go. Talk to someone who knows the scene well and make sure that before you set off you know the name and locations of the secondhand shops you plan on seeing. You can also checkout the newspaper to find out about garage sales and markets in your area.
2. Friendship Folly - Pick your secondhand shopping companion wisely. Find a friend that’ll enjoy secondhand shopping too. You don’t want someone who will rush you or get bored easily in the stores.
3. Dress to undress - This sounds ridiculous but it’s true. While secondhand shopping it is important to wear clothes that are easy to take off to try on some bargain beauties. You don’t want to be wearing layer upon layer or things that have lots of bows or buckles because these make trying on clothes more difficult. Simple dresses are the best because they are easy to slip on and off and allow you to try on items underneath them when there are no fitting rooms.
4. Bargain Baby - It helps to know how to bargain when you go secondhand shopping. You can often haggle the price down at these stores and save some money at the end of the day.
5. Be daring - Be open minded when you go secondhand shopping. Don’t disregard items that you wouldn’t usually wear; try them on and you may find something exceptional. Remember that something can always be tailored if you love it but it’s a couple sizes too big.
6. Become a regular - Don’t give up – many people don’t find anything on their first secondhand shopping trip but if you go weekly or monthly you’re bound to find an item you love.
Have fun on your secondhand shopping trip and I’d love to know if you find something beautiful!